Tuesday, October 28, 2008

In my ministerial ethics class we were asked to respond to the idea of a minister or pastor claiming to "know the mind of God." It was a great discussion. We were all agreed that we could never completely know the mind of God. A few questioned whether or not we could know anything about the mind of God.

To use blatantly anthropomorphic language, I believe that God speaks to us and reveals his heart and mind to us. The discussion made me pause to remind myself why God reveals God's self to us. It is so easy to get in the habit of running to the pulpit or the computer to preach or blog about "God's latest revelation" to me. But maybe God's word is for me. Maybe God wants me to use the insight that I graciously received before I spout off about it, or (gasp!) instead of me spouting off about it.

No comments: