Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lengthen the Cords and Strengthen the Stakes

"Enlarge the site of your tent,
and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out;
do not hold back; lengthen your cords
and strengthen your stakes." Isaiah 54:2

I'm blowing the dust off my cyber-desk. I came upon this passage a couple of weeks ago. I was blessed by the memory of it. Here is how God speaks to me through it:

God calls us to strengthen the stakes, to deepen our relationship with the Divine. As that occurs, I believe we then have the opportunity to start to lengthen the cords to expand the tent. As I grow in my relationship with God, I grow in my ability to make space for other understandings of God.

It seems this is the opposite of what often happens. Many shrink the tent, excluding those whose view of God does not match their own. And quite often, though not always, the stakes of those tent shrinkers are found to be quite weak.

Oh, to be the community of faith that throws open the curtains, welcomes all, and facilitates the strengthening of the stakes!

No comments: