Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Worship, You Write the Blog

I had lunch with a colleague yesterday and the conversation turned to worship styles. All of us church folks have an opinion on worship styles. Those of us "in the biz" talk (and argue) about theological and aesthetic considerations and what style of worship attracts the most people to church.

However, worship is about more than just the style of music that is sung or the sermon that is preached. It is about who we are with, where we are, what frame of mind and heart we are in.

I invite you to share below an experience you have had where you can say you worshiped. Maybe it was at a glorious Easter Sunday service or a quiet Christmas Eve service. Maybe it was at a childhood camp around the fire. Or maybe it was at a symphony or  Grateful Dead concert. When was a time where you came in contact with something "other" or "more" when you were with a group of people (whether 10 or 10,000) Click the comment link below and share your story!

3 comments:

Jason Fairbanks said...

I have had a number of incredible worship experiences from requiem masses to sweaty jam sessions in basement clubs. But what is coming to me now are experiences from my childhood when I attended First Baptist Church of West Palm Beach. In the summer, we would gather for Sunday evening worship at the "Chapel By the Lake," an outdoor worship space/amphitheater on the intracoastal in downtown West Palm Beach.

The habit in the Baptist church at that time was to have an "altar call" at the end of every service. Often, we would sing a hymn through a couple of times, until the pastor felt no one else would "walk the aisle."

I remember singing those precious hymns like "Just As I Am" and "Amazing Grace," among others. I would be outside, smelling the salt air, sitting with friends, singing those songs I knew by heart. I felt secure. I felt like God was holding me.

Even as my understanding of God changed and Christian life changed (and changes) over the years, I remember those moments as where and when I was beckoned into the life of faith.

...and that thou bidst me, "Come to me"
O, Lamb of God, I come, I come

Unknown said...

I am a children's teacher for Community Bible Study which takes place on a Wednesday. On a Tuesdays all the teachers, directors and core group leaders meet for our bible study. We're about 30 women and one of the things we do is openly pray in a group. We start by praising/worshiping and thanking God. Whoever is moved to speak can do so however brief. It is a truly moving experience to close your eyes in prayer and just love and appreciate our Lord and hear the joy of others. Often someone will mention some aspect of God that you hadn't thought of truly appreciated before. The variety of praise to be acknowledged seems endless as we all search our hearts and speak out of love and honor to Him who deserves it so much.
Susannah A

CTG said...

I believe transcendentalism was the first unique American philosophy, and I have always delighted in the moments I've shared or experienced with others where I and we have transcended the moment.
I have been at some concerts where the music was "jam based" or jazz influenced and the band and crowd seemed to move and dance as one, and the music would build until there were no notes left to hit, at those moments the crowd would almost fall over or collapse from the sheer momentum at that point. At other times it was like reaching the top of the roller coaster, and we all went down the other side of the music, with huge smiles and hands up in the air.

I have also experienced the blackness and intense heat of a sweat lodge in which the darkest dark became a canvas for what was going on in my head.