Monday, November 30, 2009

Using Forced Labor to Build the Temple

Solomon sent word to Hiram, saying, ‘You know that my father David could not build a house for the name of the Lord his God because of the warfare with which his enemies surrounded him, until the Lord put them under the soles of his feet. But now the Lord my God has given me rest on every side; there is neither adversary nor misfortune. So I intend to build a house for the name of the Lord my God, as the Lord said to my father David, “Your son, whom I will set on your throne in your place, shall build the house for my name.”….. King Solomon conscripted forced labor out of all Israel; the levy numbered thirty thousand men. He sent them to the Lebanon, ten thousand a month in shifts; they would be a month in the Lebanon and two months at home; Adoniram was in charge of the forced labor.

1 Kings 5:2-5, 13-14 (NRSV)


I came across this story in my scripture reading last week. I am sure I have read it before, but it hit me quite differently this time. King Solomon used forced labor to build the long-awaited temple, the symbol of Gods presence amidst the people of Israel. From the context it is apparent that Solomon had at least a couple of different motives in building the temple. One motive was a passion for the worship of who Solomon perceived as the one true God. Mixed in with that, I imagine, was the desire to create an awesome spectacle that would be the shrines and altars to other gods to shame. Another motive appears to be loyalty to his father David’s memory.

Whatever his motives, Solomon had an awesome ministry vision. It was a vision so big that it required him to force the people of Israel to work on it. I cannot for a moment imagine God, as I understand and experience God, being pleased with such a situation. It is the height of irony to use forced labor to build a shrine to a God who delivered those very laborers’ ancestors from slavery.

As I pursue my vision for ministry it is imperative that I constantly check my motives, constantly seek to be aware of why I am doing what I am doing. However, even when motives are right, it is so very easy to use people in pursuit of a great vision. Between King Solomon and now, institutional religion has been expert in using people to accomplish its purpose. Religion, at its best, can inspire one to become a part of something bigger than oneself. At its worst, it manipulates through dogma and fear, forcing people to labor for the good of the institution.

As I grow in my ministry, may I be ever mindful that my calling is to serve God by facilitating connection between God and individuals, inviting them into their adventure of life with God, not conscripting their labor for my vision alone.

No comments: