Monday, September 28, 2009

So What About the Mirror?!

This Sunday we talked about an Ordinary Day With Jesus, using different props to show how every aspect of our day can be lived in the presence of and infused with Jesus. One of the props on the altar was a large mirror. However, I completely forgot to talk about it!

The mirror represents the people that we will see in the course of a day--those we know and those we don't. When we look at people, we have the opportunity to look at them with Jesus. We can ask Jesus, what are you trying to do in this person’s life? Is there a way that I can be a part of that? Can I further your work in this person’s life? Could I encourage them? Could I listen to them? Could I speak bold truth to them? Could I love them? Could I touch them? Jesus, could I help you in what you are doing in this person’s life?

I find in my life that sometimes the presence of Christ is obvious in my life. Other times, he can be really hard to find. Turning to the words of Jesus himself, we find there is one place where he can always be found.

"Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” Matthew 25:37-40

Jesus is present in the least of these, in other people. Frank Laubach, the modern Christian mystic had a simple prayer that he would repeat over and over as he was among people: "Can I help you? Can I help you?"

An ordinary day with Jesus will include many opportunities to see Jesus and people. Will I take every opportunity to do so? Probably not. But it is definitely something to practice.

No comments: